Sunday, May 10, 2009

Cheese please

Okay, so I went to the Festival of Chefs and am I ever glad I did. Now, I know I'm not going to remember this exactly (maybe not even close), but here goes, I had a poached (organic) duck egg covered with a bernaise (I think) sauce made with real Quebec Gruyere (maybe, I know it was from Quebec anyway), this sat atop poached asparagus with a balsamic vinegar, which sat atop a buckwheat pancake that encircled a fiddlehead. This treat came from chef Anne Yarymowich from Frank at the Art Gallery of Ontario. Malivoire Wine Company was there as well offering tastings, the gentleman behind the counter recommended the chardonnay to go with my egg thingy (I'm sure it had a name but I don't know what it was), I loved it! And I don't usually like chardonnay. I'd never heard of Malivoire wine before, but I'll buy it now (well probably not often at $20 a bottle, I just checked their website). You know the best part about this whole thing? It didn't cost me a cent...until I looked around the store a bit and bought a croissant and two spring rolls for later. Regardless, it was an experience that I just might repeat next weekend, Chef John Higgins from George Brown chef school is there Saturday. Ryan Gustafson from Epic at the Fairmont Royal York will be there Sunday. If I can find enough of these types of things, I may not have to buy anymore groceries for the duration of my stay ;)
Today (May 15) I found a pic of the dish I had courtesy of www.cheeseboutique.blogspot.com

p.s. also found out today (may 15) it was a wild ramp holandaise sauce...very good!

No comments:

Post a Comment